Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A Christmas Joy

Taco Soup


Spice up the evening with a bowl of Taco Soup.  The toppings can be whatever you like such as sour cream, grated cheese, green onions, a squeeze of lime juice or chopped cilantro.  And of course tortilla chips.  It's a great soup to serve a crowd at a football party or just friends getting together for any reason.  I love to make this soup. 

In fact, I served a big ole pot of this for an Ornament Party with my girlfriends from the office.  We purchase an ornament (wrapped and ready) and place under the tree to exchange with one another.  It's great to choose something you really like because that's the secret to successful gift giving.  And I must say it worked like a charm.  We unwrapped, ooohhh'd and aaahhh'd over every single one.  It's special because every time that person places it on their tree, they'll remember getting it from you.  

I love to give and one of my favorite ways is to share food in my home.  Hopefully they'll remember my little lunch hour party of Taco Soup and trimmings, it's always my pleasure.  Merry Christmas to my "girlfriends".

Taco Soup 

Note: for my party, I doubled this recipe

1 pound lean ground round
1 onion (chopped)
1 medium bell pepper (chopped)
Several garlic cloves (minced)
1 large can diced tomatoes 
1 can Shoepeg corn (drained)
1 can black beans (rinsed well and drained)
1 can pinto beans (rinsed and drained)
Pickled Jalapeno (finely minced - to your taste)
1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
1 packet taco seasoning
Ground cumin (to taste)
Ground celery powder (to taste)
Juice of 1 or 2 limes (your taste)
Stock or water

Into a saute pan, drizzle a small amount of oil and cook the ground meat until done then place into a large pot.  Add a bit more oil and saute the onion and bell pepper until soft; add the garlic and cook for a bit longer.  Add the remaining ingredients and just enough stock or water to continue cooking for about 30 to 45 minutes.   

Hint: you can also add a stout beer here if you'd like, it also adds a great flavor profile.

After it has cooked for the allotted time, give it a taste and adjust the seasonings (and liquid) as needed.  Ladle into bowls and add your favorite toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment