Saturday, June 1, 2019

Oh My Pie!

I've run across this recipe several times on the Internet, in magazines, etc. It's a pie from the state of North Carolina, and no wonder they claim dibs on it, it's fantastic. It's sweet, salty, crunchy, luscious and unforgettable. 

Truth is, I don't make desserts very often, and if I do it's usually to take along to a pot-luck at church, a gathering with friends, or Sunday dinner for my boys. Don't get me wrong, I love pie. Like the old saying goes, I love only two kinds of pie, hot and cold. And that's the primary reason I don't make them very often. They call to me from the kitchen in the middle of the night. And if I had this pie in the fridge, it would shout. I loved making it. The recipe is simple, simple, but the result is scrumptious!


Atlantic Beach Pie

1 sleeve regular (salted) saltine crackers
3-4 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup melted unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Crush the saltine crackers, but not to smitherines, you'll want a bit of texture in the mix. I used a plastic zipper bag and my trusty meat tenderizer dealie on the flat side to get the job done. Tip into a mixing bowl, add the sugar and stir. Add the butter and mix well. The desired result is a mixture that holds together. Pour the pie crust fixings into a pie plate and press into the bottom and along the sides using a measuring cup to firmly pack the crumbs. Chill for 15 minutes, then bake for about 15-20 minutes. Watch this step closely, you just want a toasty color on the crust. Remove from the oven and cool while the filling is prepared.

1 can sweetened condensed milk
4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup lemon juice

Pour the condensed milk into a mixing bowl and set aside. Break the eggs separating the yolks and whites. 

Reserve the whites for another recipe, such as Meringue Cookies or an Egg White Omelet. 

Add the yolks to the condensed milk and beat well together. Add the freshly squeezed lemon juice and stir. Pour the mixture through a sieve and into the cooled pie crust. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the pie is set in the center. After you remove the pie, place it on a wire rack to cool enough to put in the fridge. Chill for several hours or overnight. This pie must be cold to be sliced.

1-1/2 cups of very cold heavy whipping cream

Chill a mixing bowl and beaters to whip the cream. Add the cream to the chilled bowl and begin slowly mixing. Increase the speed as it starts to thicken. Whip to soft peaks. Serve the whipped cream in a separate bowl to dollop on the pie when sliced, or spread it over the top. It's best to whip the cream as close to service as possible.

Sprinkling of flaky salt

Just before serving a pie slice, sprinkle ever so lightly a bit of salt over the unadorned pie. 

I prefer Maldon flakes, or Fleur de Sel. You could use Kosher salt. 

Then plop on a generous scoop of decadent whipped cream. If you top the whole pie with the fluffy whipped cream, add the salt to the top of the pie, then embellish this delicious creation with whipped cream. By all means, try it with the salt. 


~ * ~


Note: I don't know what makes this pie so special. My best guess is the uncommon use of saltine crackers in the crust rather than the graham cracker/cookie type usually found in recipes such as this. Coupled with the unctuous, velvety, sweet filling and real cream whipped to soft peaks and gently plopped over a cool slice of this unique pie. You won't find a more delicious pie. Great for warm weather and for Sunday dinner. 


Smashing!


Smashed!
     
Sweeten the deal!

Melting butter!

Melted butter in my tiny Lodge pot! 💜

Ready for the pie pan! I use a measuring cup to press into the plate. 



A perfect pie crust, if I do say so!
Condensed milk and egg yolks to be mixed, next the lemon juice.

Be sure to strain the filling, here's the proof.

Poured into the crunchy, sweet/salty crust.

Hot and out of the oven.

Into the chill chest (with my cooking wine) for some coolin' off time.

Piled high with REAL whipped cream.

As delicious as it looks!


No comments:

Post a Comment