Friday, June 7, 2019

Salad Dressing ~ DIY

Beautiful Basil

Spring has passed and all over the South gardens have been planted for early Summer harvest. There are so many fresh veggies to be enjoyed in so many ways. One of my greatest garden pleasures is to watch my herbs grow. My herb garden is planted in the small raised bed Allen built for me just before he died. It's just out my backdoor near the sunlit portion of the patio. Everything in it is growing like gangbusters. 
While I have the desirable fresh variety, I like to ramp up my recipes. The perfume is heady when picking each herb. Simply rinse them in cool water, chop and adorn the recipe of the moment with their lovely redolence. A happy for me. Making salad dressing is a great way to begin by inserting fresh herbs. The effort is minimal but the results are stellar. Here are a few of my recipes.

Ranch Style Dressing

1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream or Mexican Crema
1 teaspoon fresh chives
1 teaspoon fresh flat leaf Italian parsley
1 teaspoon dill weed
1/2 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon minced onion
Black pepper
Splash of buttermilk (if needed)

Mix the mayonnaise and sour cream together. 

You may choose to use the suggested Mexican crema. I love its tang. If you do add the crema, it's likely you will not need to add the buttermilk.

Chop the herbs and finely mince the garlic and onion. Add to the mixture and stir. Sprinkle on cracked black pepper to your taste. If the mixture is too thick, add a bit of buttermilk. Refrigerate before serving.


Flat Leaf  Italian Parsley
Lemon Thyme Vinaigrette 

Extra virgin olive oil
Lemon juice
Fresh thyme leaves
Freshly ground black pepper

I use the 3 to 1 rule, oil to acid (lemon juice,  lime juice, or vinegar). Depending on how much you are making this rule works every time. It can be for just one, or for a big old salad for a crowd. You may use any measuring device necessary to make an adequate amount. Simply measure 3 parts oil to 1 part whatever tasty acid you like. Chop the thyme leaves and drift in the black pepper. It's so easy.


Thyme
My Favorite Vinaigrette

Extra virgin olive oil
White wine vinegar with grape must (you can find it online if not locally available)
Fresh parsley leaves
Garlic

Again the 3 to 1 rule applies for the oil and vinegar. Chop the parsley and very finely mince the garlic. The vinegar with grape must is the reason this is so delicious. I love the stuff.


Feathery Dill Weed
Thousand Island Dressing

Blue Plate mayonnaise
Miracle Whip Salad Dressing
Ketchup
Prepared yellow mustard
Sweet pickles with a splash of juice
Onion
Chili powder
Paprika
Black pepper
Fresh dill weed

Disclaimer: I do not purchase or use Miracle Whip Salad Dressing as a rule. Indeed, this is the only thing I use it for due to its sweetness balancing with the tart flavor of the mayonnaise. It definitely works in this recipe. Just so you know.

Mix equal parts of mayo and salad dressing; for example I typically use 1/2 cup each which is an adequate amount for a family's dinner salad. Add about 1/4 cup ketchup for taste and color, and a small dollop of mustard (not much mustard though). Chop your favorite sweet pickle, whether bought or homemade, to a fine dice, and add a bit of the juice when you toss in the mixture. My very favorite pickle to add is my homemade Icycle Pickles.

This is an ingredient you may choose to add a lot or a little if you have a pickle hater in your crew. 

Then finely dice about 1/4 small to medium sweet onion and add to the bowl. Now the remaining ingredients are again, a matter of taste. I add just a small amount of each dry ingredient, but I taste and adjust as needed. The dill weed is the fresh herb component. You may be as liberal as you wish. A small sprig or two is just right for me.

One more thing, this doesn't resemble in taste the bought variety of Thousand Island Dressing very much. It's my version and pretty good stuff. I'm always asked for the recipe when I make it.  


Greek Oregano
While the next recipe isn't considered a salad dressing, it is a condiment using fresh herbs. This is an excellent recipe you should try when you serve seafood or crunchy fried catfish. It's delicious.

Anny's Tartar Sauce

1 cup Blue Plate mayonnaise
1/2 small onion
2 tablespoons dill pickle
2 tablespoons capers
2 green onions
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon powdered mustard
Fresh parsley
Fresh dill weed
Red pepper
Black pepper

Into a mixing bowl add the mayo. Dice very finely the onion, dill pickle, capers, green onions and garlic. Add to the mayo. Stir. Add the powdered mustard and mix. Chop the parsley and dill weed, and add to the mixture. Add the red and black pepper to your taste. 

Sage! I 💚 Sage
I've added random photos of herbs that are actually growing in my garden now. While I don't have a recipe that includes Sage, it's just so pretty, and I fondly refer to it as the Thanksgiving herb. It's also incredible with roasted chicken. Try growing fresh herbs, snip off lots of flavor and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment