Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Nanny's Carrot Cake

I love baking! Though I certainly have not practiced much in the last few years, still I'm elated when I get a request. And this time the request came from my child. It's birthday time for him, and of course I prepared the usual birthday dinner last Sunday. The cake I baked for that celebration is one of his very favorites. A plain cake which can be found on this blog from 2010. Here's the link: Cane Syrup CakeI know it sounds a bit ordinary, and so it is. But no matter how unadorned, it's a delicious cake. 

Back to the cake he asked me to bake today. It's a carrot cake he will take to his office to share with all the guys and girls. It seems carrot cake is a favorite amongst that crowd. I'm happy to have them enjoy what is a delight for me to make. So here's another cake to honor his birthday...

Nanny's Carrot Cake

1-1/2 cups canola oil
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup broken pecans
3 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup plumped raisins

Into a stand mixer bowl or a large mixing bowl beat together the canola oil and sugar. Add the eggs one at the time, and mix well after each addition. Into a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder. Remove a half-cup or so of the flour mixture, and toss with the pecans to coat well.

Note: This keeps the pecans suspended throughout the cake. 

Add the dry ingredients to the oil and sugar mixture and stir until blended; then add the pecans and extra flour. Add the carrots and raisins stirring to blend completely into the cake batter. 

Note: I know this isn't a popular notion these days, but grate the carrots on a box grater and refrain from using pre-shredded, pre-packaged. The texture is not the same and it will make a difference. Also, to plump raisins, just soak in a bit of warm water for a few minutes.

Pour into three greased and floured 8", or two 9" pans and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 - 35 minutes. Remove to a cake rack. Cool completely before frosting the layers.

1 8-oz package creme cheese
1 stick butter
1-1 lb. box powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla

Add creme cheese and butter to a mixing bowl and blend well. Add the sugar and blend. Lastly, add the vanilla and whip until well blended. Frost the cooled cake.

Note: This cake should be kept in the refrigerator.


Basic cake batter to begin


Floured pecans


Looks like a mess, but this is all the flavor stuff


Stirring that flavor stuff

So perfect and hot, hot

Even sideways it's good lookin'

Coolin' on the rack

Creme cheese frosting is so yum

Spreading it on

This is Nanny's Carrot Cake ~ Named "Nanny's" by my grandsons




I cannot remember the last time I used this ancient cake taker. However, since Matthew is taking it to his office tomorrow, I thought it would be best to protect it this way. Hope they like my cake. It was so good to bake again. Enjoy, y'all!


No comments:

Post a Comment