Thursday, March 19, 2020

Pantry Cooking

So here we are, bound to our homes like a sentence by a cruel court. Well, I'm one of those glass half-full girls, so I made lemonade out of a lemon day. On the second day of confinement (due to the Chinese Virus that has invaded our shores) I was ready to shuck some of my woes and what better way for me than to cook. I love a well-stocked pantry which translates in my kitchen to multiple ways and places where I stash culinary goodies. 

Let's cook something. Freezer first where I found Gulf Shrimp (always buy Louisiana). Next an unlikely pantry location, my herb garden, which now needs a bunch of attention, but the Flat Leaf Italian Parsley is gorgeous, as well as an abundant drift of Greek Oregano. That brought on a hankering for Chimichurri Sauce. I also employed a couple of small green tomatoes I'd bought a couple of days ago for an added gourmet delight. Oh boy! 

So to begin, I peeled, deveined and cleaned the shrimp. Then onto a paper towel to dry. Next I washed the tomatoes by scrubbing them with a bit of salt in my hand, and rinsing in cool water. Clean is best! 

Now the manner in which I prepare green tomatoes is already on this blog; here is the link with an extra recipe for those wonderful lime green orbs. Fried Green Tomatoes  But today I changed it up a bit though the basic method for me stays primarily the same.

Sliced tomatoes (thickness is your choosing)
Light sprinkling of Kosher salt
White corn meal (not self-rising)
Light sprinkling of cracked black pepper
Extra virgin olive oil (about 1/4 cup)
Pat of unsalted butter

After the tomatoes have been sliced and placed on a rack, add the salt and allow to sit for a few minutes. The tomatoes will react to the salt by releasing the water that forms in droplets on each slice. That's a good thing. Add a couple handfuls of corn meal to a plate, and a big pinch of cracked black pepper. Heat the olive oil and butter in a saute pan until the butter is fully melted. Dredge the tomatoes in the meal and black pepper and add to the the pan. The water on the tomatoes will allow the meal to adhere and form a crispy crust. On a medium high heat brown on each side and remove to a paper towel to drain. Drain off most of the olive oil/butter but leave enough for the shrimp. There will be a bit of meal, but no problem with that. It's all good.

Next I sprinkle my "house" seasoning (sounds so chefy) over the shrimp and add to the pan. My seasoning is a mixture of spices I love that are harmonious. You could use your favorite. Saute the shrimp until they curl and turn that pinkish color. Don't overcook.

Now for the star of the show, which ideally should be made first then chilled until the shrimp and green tomatoes are cooked and still hot. 

I love sauces! And this one is so piquant and perfect. It pairs well with so much. The amount I made is small for a lunch of just one. Moi! Recipes, if you research it, vary greatly. This is mine based on what I had on hand in this time of "social distancing". No running to the produce market for me.

Bunch of fresh flat leaf Italian parsley
Small bunch of fresh Greek oregano (it is more pungent, so just a bit will do)
1 small shallot
1 large garlic clove
Pinch of dried red pepper flakes
Pinch of Kosher salt
Pinch of cracked black pepper
Small splash red wine vinegar
Small splash rice wine vinegar
Extra virgin olive oil

Add the ingredients to a food processor and blend until chopped but not to smitherines. You want a bit of rustic texture in the finished sauce. Taste and add whatever seasonings you desire to adjust to your particular taste. Drizzle this fresh and bright sauce over the shrimp and dig in. This is so good!


Gulf Shrimp with Chimichurri Sauce and Fried Green Tomatoes


No comments:

Post a Comment