Saturday, May 23, 2020

Mabel's Jelly Cake

Mayhaw Jelly
When the Great British Baking Show began airing several years ago, I never missed an episode. The style and manner of that show was addicting. It flowed and caressed the viewer with dignified banter, humorous repartee, and crackerjack baking ideas, all amid pastoral scenes of frolicking lambs on emerald green pastures. I loved it. Indeed, virtually all British productions, I find superior. That show...delightful!

During the course of the season I soaked up a great deal of tips and baking techniques used in some unknown bakes, as well as some familiar delights I've actually made myself. Happily I experienced an epiphany when I realized a cake I had enjoyed as a child baked by my Mammy Lott was not terribly unlike a Victoria's Sponge aka Victoria's Sandwich. Mammy loved baking and she was quite good at it. One of her favorite cakes was a plainly stacked four to six layer beauty sans the frosting. The filling for the cake was her homemade jelly which she also liberally spread over the top of the cake. After watching a Victoria's Sponge made on one of the episodes of GBBS, I became much more curious about how it came to be, so I researched its history. I just have to make this cake, but of course, my way. Mine will be a variation on the theme, but I'm still calling it Mabel's Jelly Cake, and following more closely her lead. My cake will not be a sponge, but rather a golden yellow cake in keeping with what my Mammy would have made. A Victoria Sponge uses raspberry jam and whipped cream as the filling, and only two cake layers.

Fortunately for me, I made a batch of jelly this week and I intend to use my tangy/sweet Mayhaw variety in between three layers of golden cake. Mammy usually had a bowl of freshly whipped cream sitting alongside her dessert du jour. She and my Pappy Lott had cows that made the most buttery yellow cream, and when Mammy whipped it to spread on her sweet creations they were so much more scrumptious. I digress but, I'm now thinking of her Blackberry Cobbler with said cream. Oh my!

I stated I would tweak my version keeping the two inspirations in mind; the main difference being the frosting. I am covering the whole cake with a stabilized whipped cream instead of plopping on plain whipped cream slice-by-slice. And it will deviate from the Victoria's Sponge since QE2's favorite afternoon tea delight isn't entirely covered, but rather generously spread between the layers. Let's do it!

The cake: Nice and rich!

Dry ingredients: Set aside after sifting together.
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt


Ready for sifting!

A soft rain of flour onto a pillowy (I know it's not a word) mound!

Into a stand mixer bowl: Cream butter and sugar completely. Add eggs one at a time, then add vanilla and almond extracts.

1-1/2 sticks room temperature butter
1-3/4 cups sugar
3 eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Wet ingredients: Add to the batter alternately with the dry ingredients, beginning and ending with the dry.
1-1/2 cups buttermilk

Baking instructions:
The very first thing I do is prepare the pans; I hate to get to the end of cake making and realize I haven't greased and floured my cake pans. I use shortening and flour, not that spray stuff. You can use butter and flour, of course. I never use shortening for anything but this step in cake making, and making pie crusts. Therefore, I keep it in the freezer. 


Cake ready!
When the cake has been mixed and now ready to bake, pour into the 3 well greased and floured cake pans. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes, or until the center springs back when touched. Cool for 5 minutes in the pans and turn out onto a cake rack to cool completely.


Oh y'all, this is gorgeous batter!

Baking beauties!

Stabilized Whipped Cream

1-8 ounce block of soft cream cheese
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups cold heavy whipping cream

In a stand mixer whip the cream cheese until smooth and add the confectioners sugar and vanilla. Beat well together. Add the cold heavy whipping cream and begin slowly to incorporate. Gradually increase the speed and whip to stiff peaks. 

Caution: To make sure you don't create sweetened butter, check often the consistency and all will be well.

Stabilized Whipped Cream Frosting coming right up!
To assemble the cake:
1/2 pint Mayhaw jelly

After the cake layers have cooled completely, place the first layer on a cake plate and add the jelly or jam of your choice. As you can see I used Mayhaw jelly. By popular opinion it's one of the most delicious jellies bar none. Then plop on a generous drift of frosting, repeating this method until all 3 layers are stacked. Add the remaining frosting to the top and sides of the cake swirling decoratively, of course. 

I used my very old Tupperware cake-taker simply because it has a seal-able top. 

Tuck away in the fridge until time to slice and serve. Prepare for rave reviews. I just know this is going to be a cake I'm asked to make again and again. Joy! 


Mayhaw jelly to begin!


This is gonna be so good!


Done!


I'm gonna love serving this tomorrow.

My crew will be with me tomorrow for Sunday dinner, but also in support of the second year anniversary of The Horn Player leaving us. They are my babies and they remember, too. 
May 24th, a most regrettable day.  
  

1 comment:

  1. That almost makes me want to bake!!! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete