Saturday, March 3, 2012

Brussel Sprouts a la Matthew

Brussel Sprouts with Butter Sauce
Sunday dinner is a big deal in my opinion. I don't mind getting up extra early on Sunday morning's to get things started for the feast later. A few Sunday's ago I called my son to see if he was coming out with the boys to visit and have dinner with me. When he said yes I asked him to run an errand for me before he got to my house and in the process of shopping for me, he spied some very fresh and vibrantly green Brussel Sprouts, one of our favorite vegetables. He told me he couldn't resist so he sacked up a few from the produce bin for our dinner. Then to my surprise and delight, when I walked in the back door after church, he was in the kitchen stirring up his version of the best sprouts ever.

3 slices of bacon
Olive oil
Brussel Sprouts
Butter 
Dry white wine
Chicken stock
Salt
Black pepper
Crushed red pepper

Cut the bacon into lardon and drop into a dry skillet (no oil needed). Fry on medium heat until crisp and remove from the pan. Wash the sprouts in cool water, trim any discolored leaves and cut each one in half. Using the same skillet, drain off the excess bacon drippings leaving just a tablespoon or so, then add a small splash of extra virgin olive oil. Toss in the sprouts and sprinkle a little salt over. Stir fry until tender and browned. 


Note: Adding a tablespoon of chicken stock at the time into the stir frying process will steam and speed the process along. It also keeps the veggie from browning too much.


Remove the sprouts from the skillet to a warm platter. De-glaze the pan with about a half-cup of chicken stock while stirring the fond from the bottom of the pan. Reduce and add a nub of butter and about a cup of white wine. Cook until thickened slightly, add a pinch of crushed red pepper, a sprinkling of black pepper and adjust the salt if needed. Pour the sauce over the sprouts. Lastly, add the bacon pieces and serve immediately. Thanks Matthew for cooking for our Sunday dinner and a great recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment