Friday, August 10, 2012

Lemon Chicken

I have a day-job that keeps me pretty doggone busy. But while I'm there I also have to think about what The Horn Player and I will have for dinner. Most of the time I'm stumped, uninspired and clueless. 

Plus, I frequently get inquiring text message's from the hubs: "So, what's for dinner?" 

Typically I answer, "Got any ideas?" 

To which he replies, "Whatever you make will be fine." 

Now while the sentiment here is very sweet, it does little to add inspiration. But a stop at our local supermarket after work usually gives me the right kind of help. I love to begin my idea shopping in the produce section and a big display of bright yellow, juicy lemons is an excellent start. Then I find bags of fresh garlic (I love garlic) and the wheels begin turning. Chicken sounds good, too.  And I already have Vermouth for the sauce. Can't wait to get home to begin. This is how I made my...

Lemon Chicken

4 organic chicken thighs
Salt
Black pepper
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 large lemon 
1 bunch of fresh garlic
Extra dry Vermouth
Orzo pasta

Zest with a Microplane then slice the lemon thinly.

Break the bulb of garlic apart and peel each clove, but leave whole. I think I added about 3/4 of the bulb of garlic.

Add the butter and olive oil to a hot pan and sear the chicken, skin side down first until very crispy and nicely browned.
Turn to brown the other side.


This is a great thing to have on hand for sauce's etc; it's a Julia Child favorite.

Toss in the whole garlic cloves, sliced lemon and lemon zest. Splash in a healthy amount of Vermouth to de-glaze the pan and shake the pan to mix well. Place into a pre-heated oven to finish cooking the chicken.

Into a pot of boiling, salted water, add Orzo pasta and cook until al dente. 

Doesn't this look good?

I served it over Orzo with a Pear and Cheddar Salad as a contrasting sweet bite against the savory, piquant, lemony, garlicy chicken. By-the-way, the garlic cloves are scrumptious; soft and buttery smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment