Friday, February 15, 2013

I ♥ Salmon

Valentine's Day is sort of a non-holiday to me. I mean if you have a special someone that's really your sweetheart, then everyday is a day to celebrate love. However, I do enjoy it for its culinary possibilities. To cook something special and sit down with that significant other and talk about whatever...romance, vacation plans, social events or even shop talk about your day, now that's special. The Horn Player and I do that at every available opportunity including last evening. 

I had the opportunity to shop at one of my favorite supermarkets recently and found a display of gorgeous Salmon filet's, as well as some glistening Tuna steaks. Could NOT resist. I bought both but, the Salmon was perfect for my Valentine's dinner. I served it with Bacon-Wrapped Fresh Asparagus and a simple Baked Potato. Divine! 


The Salmon was a skin-on filet, which I love. I heated a black iron skillet to fairly hot and added a small drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a smidgen of unsalted butter. I placed the fish skin side down and crisped it nicely. I turned it and sprinkled a bit of Kosher salt and a grind of black pepper over the skin. After only a minute or so, when the flesh side was beginning to cook and color, I turned once more, sprinkled on just salt and pepper and put it in the oven to finish. 

Note: This doesn't take very long at all, but needs to be checked often to avoid overcooking. 

When I retrieved it from the oven, I let it rest before slicing and serving. It's perfect with just the unpretentious addition of salt and pepper. My last flavor boost was a generous squeeze of lemon. So tender, so flavorful and good for us, too. 

The Asparagus, dead simple. I par-boiled it in salty water for a couple minutes, not cooked really, just heated through then removed to a platter to cool. I wrapped bacon around a bundle of 4 or 5 spears each and placed them on a parchment lined baking sheet, then into a very hot oven, 400 degrees or so. I cooked the tasty little spears until the bacon was done and removed to serve immediately. A baked potato alongside to complete the menu plan and it's time to enjoy.

One bite of chocolate from a heart-shaped box (but only one) at the end of this scrumptious dinner was a real Valentine celebration. Hmmm...but now I'm dreaming of those Tuna steaks I bought.  

No comments:

Post a Comment