Saturday, April 27, 2013

Delicious Not-Guilty Pleasure

Not pretty really...but inside it's a beauty
Okay, I'm going to confess to a purchase I made recently that I never thought I would make. I bought a very expensive 'blender', for lack of a better word. It's touted as the best thing ever for the kitchen. Guaranteed to replace several appliance's and make life in the kitchen easier. I was excited about all the possibilities my new VitaMix would create for me, but I had no idea that I would love it as much as I do. I've never been a 'blender' user. So to fork over a tidy sum of money for an appliance I may or may not like/use was very scary. Sure, I have an el cheapo one in the upper cabinet that hasn't been used since Heck was a pup. Mainly because I must first retrieve my step-stool from the laundry room, then climb to the out-of-my-reach shelves just to begin. I've never used it enough to keep it in handy reach and out on my counter top. Besides, it never really performed any task I assigned to it with very much success.

Since my new domestic kitchen toy has arrived, I haven't even scratched the surface on its possibilities, but there is one thing I'd like to share. I make this little drink for times in the evening when I could change from my comfortable lounge clothes into something presentable to the public, drive straight to Mac's Supermarket and buy the biggest carton of Blue Bell they have. Ice creme is my very favorite dessert. I've often said if ever I should find myself standing before a firing squad and I was asked to choose one last dessert, I'd choose ice creme. That's pitiful, I know.

However, this tastes so delicious and totally assuages my desire to be reckless on the back road to Mac's in the dead of night. I also buzz up one of these to take to work with me as a liquid breakfast that satisfies, but doesn't weigh me down. You may use any combination of fruit or milk, it's all according to your preference. I also add Greek yogurt to the mix which adds tanginess. I love that. So here we go...

1 cup of frozen berries/fruit
Add more fruit for a more soft-serve consistency
Calories = 50
Fat = 0

Into the VitaMix bowl
About 1-1/2 cups unsweetened Silk Almond or Soy Milk...I used Almond
Pour in with the berries
Calories = 40
Fat = 2.5
(But no bad fat)

Choice of sweetener...I used Truvia here, but you can use anything
Honey is uber-delicious
Calories = 0
Whiz up the berries, almond milk and sweetener until it's smooth and creamy
Pour up into a pretty glass and treat yourself to a guilt free, ever-so-yummy, dessert-like indulgence
Total Calories = 90
WHAT?

This recipe is so simple I'm ashamed to call it a recipe, but it is one that makes me happy
At a mere 90 calories you could have two of them ;-)
Delicious!
Now for the best part...add a drop of dishwashing liquid to the pitcher along with a cup or so of warm water and blend again
It cleans itself perfectly
Bingo... squeaky clean...just rinse and drain.

No comments:

Post a Comment