Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sunday Dinner

Today was a good day. My son and my grandsons came for Sunday dinner. I love walking into my kitchen after church to find my son finishing what I started in the early morning. I love hearing little feet running from the back of my house, to deliver a big hug and kiss. I love hearing, "Nanny, guess what we did?", with a story of fishing, or some other wonderful adventure. I love hearing the little one ask to help with the finishing touches of dinner, and the older one finding a way to sneak a tidbit of something already prepared. The Horn Player fixes the drinks for everyone, my son begins the compliments on how good everything looks and the smallest ones go first after thanking our Lord for our day. Then sitting down with my favorite boys...my reward. We talk and laugh and enjoy one another.


Roasted Rock Cornish Game Hens

2 Game Hens
Salt
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves chopped fresh garlic (more if small)
Black pepper
Sage Leaves

Rinse the hens inside and out and pat dry. Sprinkle salt into the cavity and lightly on the outside of each bird. Pierce a small slit behind one drumstick leg just large enough to slip the other through. This will hold the legs together during baking. Also turn the wing tips under the birds. Stir together the olive oil, chopped garlic and several grinds of black pepper.


Open the skin covering the breast and rub a bit of the oil mixture under the skin, then slip a sage leaf under on each side. Drizzle the oil, garlic and pepper mixture evenly over the birds and rub each bird well with the oil, front and back. Sprinkle on more salt and place on a baking sheet. Roast at 325 for about 45 minutes to 1 hour; to brown even more, increase the heat and roast for another 8 to 10 minutes. Remove and allow to rest, split into halves and serve.

Zucchini and Leek Bake


2 leeks
7 to 8 small zucchini
1-1/2 tablespoons butter
1-1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt
Black pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
2 eggs
1-1/2 cups milk
Grated Parmesan cheese (or any other you like)

Remove the white part of the leek and split down the middle, then into small dice. Place into a large bowl and run cool water over to cover. Clean the leeks well and drain in a colander. Into a large saute pan, add the butter and olive oil. Heat until the butter melts and add the leeks. Saute until they begin to soften and add the chopped zucchini. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and sugar and stir to mix. Cook until the zucchini is barely tender. Set aside to cool.



Beat the eggs well and add the milk and cheese (I use a micro grater to grate the cheese). If there is any juice from the zucchini and leek, add it to the egg/milk mixture and stir. Mix well and pour over the cooled veggies. Bake at 325 degrees until the middle is set and very slightly jiggly, about 30 to 35 minutes.


I also made a huge pasta salad, which I've wanted for a couple of weeks now, with red onion, boiled eggs, finely diced celery, my homemade sweet pickles, a drizzle of pickle juice and mayo.

 

Today was good...it was family...it was happy and The Horn Player cleaned the kitchen. There's not much better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment