Monday, May 2, 2011

Oeuf's Cocotte

Some of you may have guessed I would choose the French dish from the three choices I discussed in my previous post.  The Flan ran a very close second, but my son wasn't around to enjoy it with me, so I just couldn't.  That's truly one of his favorite desserts.  It's a velvety treat that you can bet I'll make very soon, and share of course.

My Blue Eggs

Yep, I made the baked egg choice for Sunday night supper.  I broke my beautiful blue eggs, but kept the shells to compost in my little salad garden.  Can't wait for fresh tomatoes to slice, chill and serve alongside this dish.

Blue inside too!
I researched (fancy word for fun reading) various renditions of this dish.  My goal...to improve, if possible, and make it my own.  Any twist I apply, usually has a Southern slant.  In this case, smoked ham.  It's a basic recipe that takes little more than a couple of ingredients.  I used my itty-bitty cast iron skillets to assemble, bake and serve.  I love my cast iron collection and my little skillets are perfect for single servings of anything that goes in the oven.  My recipe is for 2 servings but can be expanded or reduced so easily.  I intend to make this for a brunch in July.  The Horn Player's daughter, The Poet, and her husband are planning to visit around the Fourth of July; I'm excited at seeing them again.  We'll have a fabulous brunch and my version of Oeuf's Cocotte will be one of my offerings.  I love brunch so there will be lots of goodies; something for everyone.


YUM!

Oeuf's Cocotte

 4 eggs
Country Smoked Ham
Havarti Cheese
Heavy Creme
Black Pepper
Pecorino Romano Cheese
Fresh Thyme

Lightly butter a a small ramekin (or itty-bitty iron skillet) and layer in thin slices of ham.  I used ham left-over from my Easter dinner.  Thinly slice or grate Havarti cheese over the ham, enough to cover nicely.  Break eggs into a small dish, then carefully place them over the cheese (2 eggs per serving please).  Pour a bit of creme over the top, I would say about a scant 1/4 cup or so.  Place the ramekins/skillets on a baking sheet to bake.  The oven should be fairly hot; I used 400 degrees.  Bake for 7 to 10 minutes, remove and grind fresh black pepper to your taste over the eggs.  Sprinkle on a bit of finely grated Romano and garnish with tiny leaves of fresh thyme.  Cool slightly, about 5 minutes and serve.  
Note: The cooking time can be varied to accommodate your preference on the consistency of the yolk. 
 
My Oeuf's 






I served my special dish with crusty French bread (of course) and a refreshing Brunch Sunrise.  This is a very rich dish, but it's perfect for a special occasion served with fresh fruit or a cold veggie cup such as tomatoes and cucumbers with a splash of balsamic vinegar. 
This is a perfect brunch, lunch or late supper.  It was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment