Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Hungry Tuesday

Up early today, plus, I worked through lunch to be sure my daily schedule was sitting pretty when I had to leave work for a late afternoon doctor's appointment.  So that meant, no break and no lunch today, which translated means, hungry.  Needless to say my drive home from the doctor was spent mentally pilfering my fridge and pantry to plan my supper while
hurrying home.  I knew I had tomatoes and for me that's a great start.  Hmmm, cheese...oh, maybe some herbage...ahhh, bread crumbs.  Hungry! 


Broiled Tomato with Asiago and Panko Crust

Tomato
Salt
Black pepper
Asiago Cheese
Fresh Basil
Panko bread crumbs
Extra virgin olive oil

Asiago and Basil
Grate the cheese (whatever type you prefer or have on hand) and leave in a heap on the cutting board.  Pick fresh Basil and cut into neat little ribbons.  Mix the two ingredients by fluffing them together.


Panko and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Drizzle the bread crumbs lightly with olive oil and with your fingertips, rub together to incorporate.  I used Panko crumbs, but you could use regular crumbs or make your own from bread in your pantry. 


Straight from the oven.
Peel the tomato and cut into thick slices.  Very lightly salt and very liberally pepper all the slices.  Preheat the oven and place on the low-broil setting.  Drizzle a few drops of olive oil onto a foil lined baking pan and place the tomato slices on the foil.  Broil until they are somewhat lightly browned.  This takes very few minutes, so watch them carefully. Remove from the oven and pile the Asiago and basil combination over each slice, next top with the Panko crumbs. Return to the oven and don't walk away.  Watch them until the bread crumbs are browned and the cheese is oozy.  Remove and serve immediately. 


Dinner on my china, Royal Doulton ~ Mandalay.


I like to treat myself by serving dinner on my good china every now and then.  It makes a quick-prep dish even more special.


Luscious Tomato with Asiago and Bread Crumbs!
Greek Oregano sprig for garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment