Saturday, November 3, 2012

Game Day Bites

K & L Cheddar Asiago Cheese Wafers
Wow! It's been a while since I've had a decent opportunity to post here.  But today is a good day, Saturday and all that.  And while The Horn Player and I were having a VERY late breakfast on the patio (in absolutely awesome weather I might add) we had a phone call from a very sweet neighbor inviting us to watch the LSU vs BAMA game.  Yes, please.

Hmm...what shall I take as a food gift.  I muddled over a few different things that I typically take to such merrymaking.  But I remembered a tasty bite I probably haven't made since Heck was a pup.  A quintessential Southern appetizer found at every cocktail/garden party below the Mason-Dixon Line since, forevah!  The recipe is just that old, too.

Scrumptious Cheese Straws.  But none of that cookie-press nonsense for me today.  I had to expedite the process in order to get my Saturday chores done.  Besides, I don't even own a cookie-press anymore, so here's how I made these little nibbles. 

K & L Cheddar Asiago Cheese Wafers

1 stick room temperature butter
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Pinch of cayenne
Sprinkle of paprika
Coarse Kosher salt

In a stand mixer add the butter and cheeses.  Mix well together.  Add the flour that has the cayenne and paprika added.  Allow the mixer to incorporate all the flour into the butter/cheese mixture and stop to scrape down the side of the bowl.  Mix once more until it has come together nicely.

Remove to a board and knead very gently and very briefly until it forms a ball. With your hands, roll into a log shape and wrap securely in plastic wrap.  Chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or cheat like I did and place in the freezer for about 30 minutes.  Remove and slice very thinly and place on an ungreased baking sheet or baking stone.  I used a baking stone.  Bake at 275 degrees for approximately 20 - 25 minutes, depending on your oven.  DO NOT brown. Sprinkle with a tiny bit of Kosher salt just before removing from the stone and gently place on a rack to cool completely.  


Sprinkled with a few grains of coarse Kosher salt...perfect!


With a glass of nicely chilled white wine...awesome!

K - The Horn Player & L - Moi

No comments:

Post a Comment