Friday, June 7, 2013

Gyoza ~ CenLA Style

Gyoza


The first recipe I chose to make from my Foodie Bucket List is Gyoza. I used the general, accepted method, but substituted a couple of ingredients. One out of necessity and the other because I wanted my spin on this delicious morsel. I'm calling this CenLA Gyoza.

1 heaping cup of spicy pork sausage
2/3 cup blanched, dried and chopped fresh spinach
2 or 3 chopped green onions
1/2 finely minced jalapeno 
1 heaping tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
1 egg
1-1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
Chili sauce or chili oil
(to your taste)
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
Wonton wrappers

Assemblage of Gyoza makings.

Spicy pork sausage, wonton wrappers (the necessary substitution), spinach (my other substitution), fresh ginger, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, hot sauce, sesame oil, jalapeno and green onions. 

The spicy Louisiana style sausage was a good idea.

Every one in the bowl ready to mix.

I couldn't find Gyoza wrappers in my little town, so I substituted wonton wrappers and used the envelope fold and a sort of tortellini style method. Have a bowl of water handy and use it to glue the wrappers together.
I will pick up the proper wrapper soon and do this again.
Talk about fun!

Little packages.

Add a small amount of canola oil to a pan and brown the Gyoza on one side.
See how crispy and golden.

Add 1 cup of water to the pan and cover until the water is absorbed and the dumplings are cooked. Remove with a spatula and serve immediately.


Mix together some minced ginger, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sugar to balance and a splash of sesame oil.

Dunk and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment