Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pork Roast, Cole Slaw & Baked Beans

Last month The Horn Player was gone a whole week for business/school and tons of chores were waiting for both of us when the weekend came around. With a hot mug of Community Dark Roast in hand, we greeted Saturday morning sleepy eyed and semi-ready for work. Rain showers over the past week had grown the grass exponentially, so mowing was a must and thus far this Spring I hadn't tidied up any of my patio plants by re-potting etc. Plus, there were plants in my front yard that I wanted to move to the back yard.

Note: Do we ever get it right the first time? I don't think so. Every year I have a better idea for where a plant should put down roots. 

Well, one thing that was abundantly clear to both of us, it was an outside work day. The other thing that became abundantly clear was the swiftness of our approaching Louisiana summer. My boys were coming over for an afternoon visit and of course supper is always part of the deal. I needed to begin something that would more or less take care of itself. Pork Roast seemed like a good start. Baked Beans and Cole Slaw are great sides and both can be prepped before hand. Kitchen chores first.

Note: I do have a confession for this post. I was very mindful of snapping pics in the initial preparation of the food, but when it came time to capture the finished product, well, I didn't. The boys were hungry and I confess I did not give it another thought. I did a 'face palm' thing when I was cleaning up after we had finished eating, but too late. 



Pork Roast, Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, Fresh Garlic, Steen's Cane Syrup, Onion and
Hot Chile Pepper



In the background of this photo you will notice a glazed-pottery roaster. I chose it as a hostess gifts for a Pampered Chef party I gave in my home several months ago. My friend, Shannon, was the reason I had the party and I am so glad I did because I absolutely love my roaster. It's wonderful for cooking a whole chicken or like today, a pork roast. 


First I sliced an onion into rings and scattered them over the bottom of the roaster. This serves as a tasty and edible rack for the meat. Next, I seasoned the pork roast with kosher salt and black pepper and rubbed it over the entire surface of the meat. I laid the meat in the roaster on top of the sliced onion and drizzled Steen's cane syrup over the top. I minced a goodly amount of fresh garlic, probably 4 to 5 cloves, and sprinkled over the top. Then I added a scattering of hot pickled peppers.

Good combination of savory and sweet

The juicy peppers added so much flavor


I covered the roaster with its lid and placed it into a preheated oven (350 degrees) for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours. The time depends on the size of the Pork Roast, of course. When the meat registered 155 to 160 degrees internal temp, I removed the lid and left it in the oven for another 15 to 20 minutes, after which I carefully placed the pork roast on a platter to rest before slicing and serving.



Delicious! The pan drippings were out-of-this-world. I removed all of the fat from the top and served the pan drippings in a bowl to drizzle over the meat. And since I completely spaced off taking a picture of the finished product you'll have to trust me, it was excellent. Try this for yourself. The pork captures a little heat from the peppers, a slight sweetness from the cane syrup and the meat has the wonderful essence of garlic. But best of all, it's fall-apart tender.

Tri-Color Slaw

Cabbage
Carrot
Radish

This is veggie salad I love. It balances so well with rich meat and sauce. And it's easy, very easy. Finely chopped cabbage, grated carrot and grated radish makes for a pretty slaw. Onion can also be added for another layer of flavor. At times I do add it, but this time I did not.

Creamy Cole Slaw Dressing

Mayonnaise
Sour Cream
Cane Vinegar
Sugar
Celery Seed
Black Pepper
I use about 3/4 cup mayo to 1/4 cup sour cream, a splash of cane vinegar, just enough sugar to cut the tartness, a light sprinkling of celery seed and black pepper to taste. Add a bit of salt if you feel you need it and mix well. Pour over the veggie mixture and cover with a lid or plastic wrap, then chill for at least an hour or even two. This also allows the dressing to flavor it well.

Pretty slaw into the fridge

My fav black pot and baked bean fixin's

Bush's beans
1/2 onion chopped
1/2 to 3/4 cup Ketchup
Small squirt of yellow mustard
1 tablespoon chopped capers
Chopped cilantro
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup chopped stuffed green olives

This is a quickie recipe; open can, pour into the pot, add the ingredients according to your preference and stir. Take away anything you don't like and add what you do like. At any rate, cover and place in the oven on a rather high heat, 375 degrees, for about 15-20 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for another 7-10 minutes to thicken and brown the top a bit. 

Note: Green olives you say? Mama did this and it's good...try it.

We had a good day working outside and the meal all of us had together was most enjoyable with enough leftovers for a Pulled Pork Sandwich the next day. No hassle prep with delicious results. Good deal...

No comments:

Post a Comment