Friday, June 20, 2014

Puff Pastry Unlimited


Piping hot from oven
When I clean out my fridge and freezer I usually find things I've totally forgotten. Of course most of them get tossed due to the condition. Forgotten leftovers and such. But in this case it was an unopened box of Puff Pastry in the freezer. A happy find. I try to keep it on hand, particularly around the holiday's for appetizer bundling. Brie for example, tucked snugly in with a drizzle of local honey and sprinkled with English walnuts. That's a favorite for Christmas and New Year celebrations. 

But there is an unlimited number of possible stuffing's to enjoy. The Horn Player actually (sit down now) said he would like spinach as a main ingredient. I know, that's a veggie, but hey, I'm giving it a try if he will eat it. Fruit, that's next since Summer is in full swing here in Dixie. I'll report back on my inspirational results. 

~ * ~

It seems I'm really into the instant gratification type of cooking lately. My last post was an appetizer style nosh and now this. It's always a good time to test an idea, however. This is rich, gooey and quite tasty. But it isn't something you'd want to make very often. I think it would be very nice if thinly sliced and served as a heavy hors d'oeuvre. This time I divided the sheet of pastry into four equal blocks, but of course you could use the entire sheet and make one large roll. That would be super served on a long cutting board for a buffet supper. I'm thinking little bowls of pickled items served alongside would be perfect to counter the richness of the pastry and its filling. So many ideas with Puff Pastry.

Roll one piece of Puff Pastry into a larger rectangle as thinly as you can without tearing the tender dough. Cut into four equal sections and cover with a towel to prevent drying while you assemble the other ingredients.
Freshly grated Extra Sharp Cheddar
A serpentine drizzle of Ranch Salad Dressing
Cheese layered over the Ranch, then cooked bacon (not crispy)
A slice of Honey Roasted Turkey from the deli goes on next
Rolled up like a burrito and sealed with a brush of water around the edges to button the packet up nicely ~ I added a bit of cheese to the top

Getting puffy while baking

Golden brown and delicious

Flaky pastry, creamy Ranch, smoky bacon, sweet honey turkey and gooey cheese
 
Oh yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment